Amazon Cloud Player: make sure you take advantage of their introductory offer

I just purchased an MP3 album "Johnny Winter And / Live" for $5 and got a $20 one year upgrade of 20 GB of cloud storage - a sweet deal, but considering that you always get 5 GB free this may not be much of an added value. Amazon has a nifty uploader application that looked at my iTunes MP3s and playlists and is cloning that on Amazon Cloud Player automatically. My entire iTunes library will only take up a few GBs after it is automatically uploaded. Sometimes Amazon kills Apple's iTunes store on price: I was about to buy a few tracks on iTunes last year and then realized I could buy the entire album as MP3 on Amazon for for not much more.

Amazon seems to be investing in introductory offers like the upgrade for Cloud Player and the first time AWS developer's package (basically free to develop and deploy for one year). Certainly expensive for them to provide as free services but Amazon is playing the long game. My ordered list of the most impressive technology companies:
  • Amazon
  • Google
  • Apple
  • Netflix
Notice that Microsoft is not on my list :-)

Comments

  1. Mark,

    It's nifty, but I was wondering something. You work from home like I do. Is this of use to you, vs. regular location storage on a computer inside your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michael, good question! I keep my pictures on Picasa and Flickr, my notes and short docs on Google Documents, do a lot of work via SSH shells, my git and maven repositories are remote, so, it seems natural to not have "physical custody" of my music.

    That said, I like to keep local backups of important stuff and backups on S3.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives