Moving MySQL to a large EBS volume

I had to move a very large customer MySQL database used for data mining to a large EBS raid. Since following the usual documentation did not work for me, here are my notes: after following the standard instructions for setting up RAID 0 (EBS is robust enough that I see little reason to use error correcting RAID, but do so if you wish), I followed some of the instructions here for mapping the usual installation location for MySQL data to the RAID EBS volume and using some fstab trickery (copied from the linked article):
sudo mkdir /vol/etc /vol/lib /vol/log
sudo mv /etc/mysql /vol/etc/
sudo mv /var/lib/mysql /vol/lib/
sudo mv /var/log/mysql /vol/log/

sudo mkdir /etc/mysql
sudo mkdir /var/lib/mysql
sudo mkdir /var/log/mysql

echo "/vol/etc/mysql /etc/mysql none bind" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
sudo mount /etc/mysql

echo "/vol/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql none bind" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
sudo mount /var/lib/mysql

echo "/vol/log/mysql /var/log/mysql none bind" | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab
sudo mount /var/log/mysql
I then did an apt-get remove on MySQL, followed by an apt-get install of MySQL and everything that I wanted is now set up on the large EBS RAID volume and I could start the very long database import process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller