How programming languages affect thinking; Clojure at work; my Clojure wrapper for PowerLoom

The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is that the human language that we think in and communicate with affects our thought processes: the way we think.

Because my current job mostly uses the Clojure programming language, I have been thinking in Clojure idioms lately - a big change from Java and a smaller but still significant change to using Ruby. (BTW, you may have noticed that I don't blog here anymore about Ruby; this is because I have a dedicated Ruby blog now.)

At work Clojure has been a good choice because it is concise, has well designed APIs (for example, most built in data structures support the seq uniform APIs: everything mostly works the same for lists, sequences, binary trees, maps, etc.), and can take advantage available Java libraries. As a personal project, I finished wrapping the PowerLoom knowledge representation and reasoning system in a thin Clojure library this morning. (See my Clojure blog for more information.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller