Using nailgun for faster JRuby startup

I finally got around to trying nailgun tonight. On OS X with JRuby 1.4.0RC2, I built nailgun using:
cd JRUBY_HOME/tool/nailgun
./configure
make # I ignored the warning "no debug symbols in executable (-arch x86_64)"
In one terminal window just leave a nailgun server running:
$ jruby --ng-server
NGServer started on all interfaces, port 2113.
When you want to run JRuby as a railgun client, try something like:
jruby --ng text-resource.rb
On my MacBook, this cuts about 5 seconds of JRuby startup time off of running this test program.

Sweet. For small programs, using ruby is still faster than jruby but this makes developing with JRuby faster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives