I just switched my MacBook over to Ubuntu

I made three image backups of the hard disk on my MacBook (yeah, I am careful like that) and just used BootCamp to set up a small OS X partition and an Ubuntu 9.04 partition. This worked for me, but I make no guarantees for you (<grin>):
  • Boot with OS X install DVD, wipe the disk, and installed to the entire disk
  • Without doing anything else, I ran BootCamp and grabbed about half the disk for "Windows"
  • I inserted a Ubuntu install CDR, and chose "advanced" partitioning. I deleted the fat partition on /dev/sd3 and made it a bootable ext3 partition with "/" as the mount point
  • When I boot my Mac, I hold down the option key to switch between OS X and "Windows" (ha!).
  • This is really non-optimal, but I had a false start: the first time I ran the Ubuntu installer, it recognized OS X and offered an express install. Anyway, I ended up with a small 2 gig partition /dev/sda4 that BootCamp boots the first Ubuntu install. I simply edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to set /dev/sd3 as the boot disk.
  • Now I can "option key choose my OS
  • Now that both operating systems work fine, I took the time to install all security updates for both operating systems
I would have liked to go through these steps again, leaving out the first false-step Ubuntu install, but I need to install my dev tools on Ubuntu and get back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives