OpenDS 1.0 LDAPv3 server

OpenDS 1.0 LDAP server has just been released and was easy to install, configure, and run. One thing that I especially like is that it is set up by default to run nicely in a development environment (including test data to play with) with directions for reconfiguring for production use with replication.

I used the JNLP setup file, hitting this link and accepted the standard install options (installed in my home directory in ~/OpenDS). There are test command line clients to test the installation and configuration; for example:
markw$ bin/ldapsearch --hostname localhost --port 1389 --baseDN "dc=example,dc=com" --searchScope base "(objectClass=*)"
dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: domain
objectClass: top
dc: example
and then you can use JNDI APIs for Java client LDAP enabled applications. I think that Sun is going to offer good support for Glassfish + OpenDS (if they don't already). BTW, I have many years of good experiences developing on the Tomcat platform (and a little less use of JBoss) but I am becoming more enthusiastic about Glassfish, integration with NetBeans, etc. The days of consultants developing their own private set of infrastructure tools is just about over: for me, I look to either a subset of J2EE or Ruby on Rails to save development time on projects. Except for developing my own tools that are very application domain specific (usually AI, text and data mining, NLP, etc.), I prefer spending time studying and using standard frameworks, plugins, and components.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives