Integrating PHP and Ruby with Java server side deployments

I dislike re-writing code that works well without a very good reason. Sometimes there is a temptation to rewrite code in order to move to a new language and platform. The Quercus PHP run time WAR file from Caucho looks like a good way to mix and match existing server side Java and PHP projects. Several years ago, a customer asked me to loosely integrate (just share a common login) SugarCRM and the JSP+POJO+Prevayler based web app that I had written for them to manage their research papers and devliverables. Not difficult to do, but my integration solution was a hack. Compiling PHP to byte code for the Java platform and easier (non-web service) calls between PHP and Java is an obvious win for developers. When JRuby's performance gets better (and it will :-) I look forward to the same type of integration with both Ruby and Rails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller