The Da Vinci Code

My reward for a long day yesterday hacking Lisp code was a night out with my wife and friends to see "The Da Vinci Code". What a great movie! I thought that with very few exceptions the movie moved at a fast and interesting pace and was a sweet story.

The movie had a great scene of the Council of Nicea that in 323 AD decided what would be in the Bible - a very short scene of people haggling over what was to be in the Bible, but this scene set the stage for a story of an alternate view of the possible life of Christ.

I find it unfortunate that some people can not just take this move at face value as a work of fiction. I read an article this morning interviewing many Christian religious leaders. I agree with the leaders who looked at this movie as an opportunity for dialog and not as a threat to their beliefs. My personal belief is that spirituality is more valid and much more important than rigid religious dogma. Although I respect all religions I consider my self to be a Christian, but to me what is important is Christ's teachings: peace, love, connectiveness between all people, compassion for others, and the big one: you shall not kill. Really, these are the messages of all great religious and spiritual leaders of all religions. I don't even want to mention his name, but last year one of the more popular "religious leaders" in the U.S. was openly advocating the assassination of a leader of a foreign country. OK, the 'word of the day' is "hypocrisy". One of the many great things that one of my grandmothers (wife of a Methodist minister) taught me was to look at people's actions and not just listen to what they say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives