Very useful: PyDev on Eclipse

For my Java development, I usually "live" in IntelliJ. However, I do also use Eclipse and I decided to give the Eclipse Python development kit PyDev a try today. Very useful!

As much as I like Java for medium to large scale server side projects, I am getting more and more into Python. I am thinking of changing my title from "Java consultant" to "Java and Python consultant" :-)

Python as a language and a platform hits the 'sweet spot' for rapid development of small and medium scale projects.

Another great feature that I like about Eclipse is that it is as a platform for writing and running your own tools (the book "Contributing to Eclipse" is a good reference for this). I tend to enjoy experimenting with many tools and technologies, but if I start doing more work in Python (I am mainly just working on a GPLed fun project in Python right now), I might switch back to Eclipse as my main development environment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller