ACM articles on haptics

Haptics is the use of force feedback in virtual reality (VR) systems. I effectively used haptics years ago when designing and building VR Indy race car simulators at SAIC. I thought about this at lunch time while reading through the latest ACM Communications magazine.

Since we had a complete physical model for the state of the car that a user was "driving", I could apply pressure back through the steering wheel when the model calculated that the wheel would be hard to turn.

Also, when I was in a 3 day Russell Racing class at Laguna Seca Raceway, I noticed that if the Formula Mazda car that I was driving would get a tire off the main pavement (onto the warning bumps along the track), I could feel this in the wheel of the real racing car. It was not too difficult to determine when a VR user was slightly off the road and to produce similar vibration in the steering wheel of the racing pod - an awesome effect!

Years later, I was the lead programmer on a VR demo system for Disney Quest. We had incredible real time graphics and a good motion platform, but in the demo we did not have haptic force feedback on the oars users would use to maneuver a "raft" down a river in a dinosaur rich environment (I did the AI control for the dinosaurs). This whole VR world was absolutely awesome but the lack of haptics took a lot away from the experience.

I am really busy work-wise, but later this year I am hoping to get some hacking time in on the Open Croquet project that uses Squeak Smalltalk and OpenGL to build and use 3D virtual colaborative workspaces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives