How to increase our national security

I am not happy with what the Bush administration is doing to protect our national interests and safety. I suggest a few alternative ideas:

  • Energy independence: I rode around in a friend's Toyota Prius yesterday. Instead of giving huge tax breaks to people who buy SUVs, reward people for buying fuel efficient cars.

  • Create a large scale Peace Corps: do everything we can to restore our international image and try to regain at least some trust in the international community.

  • Trust the professionals in our military and intelligence agencies and use Congressional oversite where public transparency can not be used for security reasons.

  • Allow government agencies to collect data to fight terrorism, but recognize that we want to remain a free society: insist that judges are consulted for search warrents, permission to invade privacy, etc. Also use Congressional oversite.

I realize that what I am proposing is very contrary to the actions chosen by the Bush administration - still, even though I am just a Java consultant, I think that I have a better handle on what is good for our country than our current administration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives