Not really retired 😀

I read with some humor my last blog post from 6 months ago, saying that I was retired. Ha! As I mentioned 6 months ago, my wife has chronic health problems but those have stabalized, and life is now fairly good. I did start a very much part time (15 hours/week) advisory gig with Mind AI about 4 months ago. Enjoyable work on an interesting product. I am not performing any substantial development work, rather spending most of my time as an architect and advisor. I am 71 years old, and leaving heavy lifting development work to younger and more energetic co-workers is for the best.

I have a huge backlog of writing projects, mostly on hold for the moment because of my work at Mind AI:

  • A new book "Artificial Intelligence Programming in Python: Exploring the Boundaries of Deep Learning, Symbolic AI, and Knowledge Representation".
  • Edits for my Common Lisp book, adding new examples.
  • Ideas and some new code for my Swift AI book.

For the last year I have been basically giving away my recent eBooks for free on Leanpub by setting the minimum price to $0.00. I stopped doing this today. Now all of my recent eBooks are available for free online reading on my website https://markwatson.com and readers have to pay for PDF/ePub/Kindle versions on Leanpub.

I have been very happy to get 5 visits to my home in Sedona this year from old collegues, including my boss from 40 years ago and a recent co-worker from Olive AI. Great fun!

I also have a new hobby: I joined the Northern Arizona Audubon Society. Yes, I am now a bird watcher! I have some experience at this bird watching activity: I have had my pet parrot for 20 years. Looking at wild birds is fun also, and the birding hikes are guided by experts so this is a learning experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives