Bruce Perens on the GNU Affero General Public License

How often do you read something that you totally agree with? Bruce Perens wrote an article that summarizes my own views perfectly. His take that the Apache 2 (gift), GPL 3 (force people to share), and the LGPL 3 (an "in between" license) that cover the spectrum of licensing requirements sounds right to me. I also agree that the GNU Affero General Public License covers an important need: force companies who only provide web services to also share back with the community.

When I get some free time (maybe by this May) I want to persue an open source business idea, and the AGPL 3 fits my needs perfectly.

Variety and competition are great for improving technology but I agree with Bruce that it may be time to consolidate to fewer open source licenses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives