The shoe-maker's family has no shoes?

One trouble with being a consultant is getting time and energy for your own projects.

My wife and I spent a busy week or so a couple of years ago building a healthy cooking web portal. Since then, with just a few changes, the site has been running on auto-pilot. I wrote the original implementation in Java+JSPs, and now my wife and I are talking about investing more time into what is for us a fun hobby (we are both extremely good cooks).

I need to decide how to proceed: I have worked through several Seaside tutorials in the last few years (good stuff), and I have done several Ruby on Rails web applications for consulting customers in the last 18 months, so I had seriously considered moving off of the Java platform. In the end, assuming that I have time for a version 2 of our recipes web portal, I will probably stick with Java. I would like to upgrade to using Struts 2 and Hibernate with Lucene search. I have, just for fun, been improving my Javascript skills, so version 2 will be AJAX enabled.

Anyway, Carol and I have been talking enough about the recipes web portal that I think that we will start work on it again. We only have a few hundred registered users, but we get a fair number of visitors who do not create a free login, and an average of about 5 page views per site visit, so people hang around. I originally used the USDA nutrition database to estimate nutrition data for recipes - I took that off because the data seemed inaccurate (USDA often sites multiple studies that vary a lot!) However, enough people have asked for nutritional information that I will probably add it back in with a warning to accept nutrient data per recipe as estimated information. One thing that I implemented in the original site that people seldom use is a free custom database of "food ingredients on hand" - with a nice option to only show search results for recipes that you have the ingredients for. A good lesson here: sometimes users will ignore features that developers think are great! I might remove that entire module of code and web UI stuff - if users don't use something, toss it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives