I am still looking for the best database solution for web apps

I know that different applications have different database requirements but I still like to have standard tools that I use for most jobs.

For many years the words "database" and "PostgreSQL" were synonomous for me :-)

Still, my usual deployment pattern is to help a customer rent a cheap dedicated Linux server and set it up for them so that it supports the web application that I wrote for them.

PostgreSQL is not often installed out of the box in leased Linux servers, so using it is a little extra overhead. MySQL is almost always installed, but I really don't get the same joy from MySQL that I get from PostgreSQL.

I have used HSQLDB (an embedded Java database), but little problems like sometimes locks not getting reset have kept me from using it in production environments.

I am experimenting with using IBM Cloudscape (or the open source Derby version) as an embedded database in Tomcat (using Tomcat server events to support smooth Cloudscape initialization and shutdown). I am using this for my own web portal (a business for my wife and I) before trying it on any customer jobs.

Ideally, I would like to have one standard bundle of Tomcat + an embedded database server that is preconfigured for fast deployments to new servers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller