Security update makes Java unusable on OS X

This happened to me last year also. I always keep the latest developer's versions of Java installed (from Apple's developer support web site) - so, I did not have a standard configuration. When this happened once before, I spent a while reading about other people's similar problems on the web, trying to fix the problem, etc. to no avail. I eventually just did an OS X re-install.

This morning when applying the latest software update zapped Java, I just went ahead and did an OS X re-install followed by re-applying security patches, etc. About 90 minutes wall clock and about 20 minutes of my time wasted.. eerrrrrr....

PS: (written a day after original post): it is rare that updates zap Java on OS X, but it does happen. People using OS X should install this update - my advice is that if Java does become inoperable, then doing an OS X re-install (use the install option for saving previous user accounts and network settings!) is probably the most straight forward thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives