Using Emacs and org-mode in OS X

I recently ran across David O'Toole's org-mode tutorial and I have been experimenting with using org-mode with Emacs instead of the little utility web app I wrote for my own use a few years ago. I decided that I like org-mode better after learning the basic commands even though I can no longer access my to-do lists from ay web browser. Org-mode is useful for more than simply managing to-do lists and tasks but that is what I am mostly using it for.

To make org-mode always easily available I added this to my ~/.profile:

alias orgmode='echo -e "\033]0;org-mode\007";Emacs -nw ~/Documents/org-mode/.'
This will open org-mode in a the current term window tab and change the tab title to "org-mode." I keep all of my org-files in /Users/markw/Documents/org-mode/ so change that bit of bash script to reflect where you want to keep your org data files. You might also want to substitute emacs for Emacs -nw which is what I use for command line Emacs because I prefer the latest version 2.4.x of Emacs.

Comments

  1. if you'll use Emacs as daemon, then you can use emacsclient to connect to existing Emacs instance - it will start much faster as standalone emacs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, that is a good idea. BTW, I'll "see you" in the NLP class that starts in a few weeks. I am also taking the Probabilistic Graphical Models class.

    -Mark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller