Haskell is much easier after coding in Clojure and Scala for a while

I got very excited by Haskell about 18 months ago and spent a fair amount of time kicking the tires and reading the Haskell book. That said, my interest waned and I moved on to other things (mostly Ruby development with some Clojure, less Scala).

When I noticed the the recent new Haskell release for July 2010 I installed it and started working through Miran Lipovača's online book Learn You a Haskell for Great Good!. This time, things seem to "just click" and Haskell's functional style seems very natural. I have real regrets that I probably won't be using Haskell much because I mostly code in what people pay me to use which in the last 5 years has been Lisp, Ruby, Java, and Clojure.

Comments

  1. I found understanding Lisp helped me understand Haskell. A lot of functions have corrispondence; for example map, and reduce/foldl.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives