My best Ruby coding hint

One programming trick that I use to reference Ruby source code for the standard libraries and locally installed gems is to set up TextMate projects (Eclipse Ruby projects also work well) for:
  • /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8 - location of Ruby source code for standard libraries on my system
  • /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems - location of local gem installs (often contain examples/tests and documentation files) on my system
When you are using a standard library or a gem it is great to have the source right in front of you for reference.

Comments

  1. Mark, I followed your lead on this and have setup a Ecilpse (RadRails) project to these sources, however Ecilpse errored on the fact that these directories are set as read-only. There maybe a better way, but for now I set the directories for read & write.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller