Feels good: donating to FSF, Debian, Ubuntu

As individuals, we can collectively do a lot of good by donating money where it does real good (fighting corporate interests, feeding the hungry, and donating to worthwhile IT projects). I just invested (yes, I consider this an investment!) by making small donations to the FSF, Debian, and Ubuntu Free Software projects.

BTW, I have a friend who lives for charitable work - several years ago, he gave me some great advice on which charities to avoid (or contribute to) based on how much money they spend in administration costs. I have monthly donations taken out of my credit card for the American Friends Service Committee, Habitat for Humanity, and the Heifer Project - all recommened!! Also, if you make monthly contributions to a charity, make sure that you call them up and have them *not* send you information and requests for more money in the mail - that is administrative overhead - ask, and they will just quietly take your money and not waste it on mailings back to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives