Internet As Entertainment Vs Information Vs Knowledge
Mark’s Hierarchy of Internet Use
- Internet as a source of entertainment: there is real value in engaging with friends and family together playing online games and enjoying at anytime ‘binging’ on Netflix.
- Internet as a source of information: this is a real economic driver as we look to web search engines for directions for fixing our cars, finding what an compiler or runtime error message means and how other people have fixed the coding problem, find a template for giving a presentation at work, finding salary ranges for your job in the city you live in, etc.
- Internet as a source of knowledge: knowledge is ‘digested’ and processed information usually based on experience and interactions with other people. The highest value sources of knowledge on the web are quality online courses taught by the top people in a field of study, videoed conversations by industry or academic ‘thought leaders’, etc. In other words, using the Internet to access the thoughts and knowledge of the brightest people on the planet.
How can Information Collecting Software Agents Tap into knowledge? A path to AGI?
- Identify the experts in the world for any specific technology
- Collect written works, lectures, and debates and conversations with other experts
- Build models for both raw information experts know and also their analytic and thought processes.