Comparing Clojure and Scala as 'Java replacements'

I have been doing more Java coding than I would like lately <grin>. An antidote has been some work with Clojure and Scala. Unfortunately, I have not reached a sufficient level of proficiency with either language that I can instantly switch between them: it takes me more than a few minutes to to get into the flow with either of them.

For customer work, I don't expect either language to be in much demand but since I also work on my own projects I would like to have a good alternative language when Ruby or Lisp (either Common Lisp or Scheme) don't work for me because of lack of libraries or other constraints. (BTW, in the last 3 years, probably 60% of my paid for consulting work has used Ruby, about 30% Common Lisp, and only about 10% Java.)

For my personal development needs, Clojure's and Scala's good support for concurrency is not too large of an issue. What is an issue for me is that I want to be able to use existing Java libraries and frameworks and I like concise programming languages (otherwise, I would simply keep using Java as my Ruby alternative). JRuby is also a powerful contender except that I find that using alternative languages stretches the mind and is worth the small amount of wasted time transitioning from using one programming language to another. I spend so much time using Ruby because it is a required language for projects that I would prefer another choice, even though Ruby is a great (or at least fun) language.

Except for the Common Lisp edition of the AllegroGraph book I am writing, I don't expect to be using Lisp very much in the next few years (unless a customer asks for it), so I would eventually like to settle on using either Scala or Clojure as my "concise Java alternative," but I am in no hurry to make a choice.

I definitely have an easier time integrating existing Java code with Clojure than I do with Scala. That said, I like Scala's syntax better (strange, given the fact that I have been coding in Lisp for over 30 years).

Comments

  1. Interesting Mark - I would have put money on you preferring Clojure ! I've been getting into Haskell recently and I do prefer the infix syntax as it is often more concise than the prefix alternative. Having said that, I think Clojure has more Haskell features e.g. immutability, laziness and support for monads so it would make more sense for me. Scala seems much more like a traditional imperative language to me with a few functional sweeteners thrown in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives