Netbeans IDE 6.0 Beta 1: (J)Ruby and Rails support is looking good; mixed experience with IntelliJ 7.0 + Ruby plugin

I did have an installation problem: I have every possible version of Java installed on my MacBook so I had to manually edit
/Applications/NetBeans/NetBeans 6.0 Beta 1.app/Contents/MacOS/netbeans
to explicitly set jdkhome to my 1.5.0 directory. Hopefully most people will not have that problem.

I found it most convenient to have local JRuby and Ruby installations in my home directory and use those so the NetBeans GEM tools had write access.

I still find using TextMate to be more convenient for development, but code completion and browsing features may win me over in the long run.

I have a 30 day IntelliJ 7 trial and installed the first Ruby plugin for version 7. I ran into errors running the generate script and could not create a Rails project from an existing Rails application directory. I would bet that these problems will be fixed quickly, so I will give version 7 another try before my trial license expires. (I am trying to decide whether to upgrade to version 7 and Ruby support will affect my decision).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller