Java 8 and Clojure

Originally published April 5, 2014

I have to admit that I have often been lazy about converting Java code to Clojure. Several of my side projects have :java-source-paths set in my project.clj file and I just copy in the bits of old Java code that I am too lazy to convert. In some way I justify this because it is so easy to mix and match Clojure and Java code and the lein build process works well and I have never had any problems.

One thing that does not work, as far as I know, is mixing Java 8 lambdas with Clojure. That may happen sometime, but not a big deal for me. Mixing in my favorite Java 8 addition (streams) with Clojure is also not so important to me since it would not bring much to the table for Clojure developers.

I am far from being a "Clojure purist" (or any other single language) but one thing that really strikes me after using Clojure for about one third of my development over the last 4 or 5 years is that it is such a practical language for getting stuff done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives