Technology tire kicking: trying Rails 4.0 beta

As I mentioned in my last blog article I am (mostly) shutting down my consulting business in order to have time for work on writing projects and to try to develop three business ideas. All three involve web apps/services and I want to use Clojure for two of them and Rails for the third.

Rails 4 should be released early in 2013 but I thought I would get a leg up and start experimenting with Rails 4 now. Fairly easy to set up and try:

git clone https://github.com/rails/rails.git
cd rails
gem install sprockets
rake build ; rake install
And then version 4 beta is installed:
✗ rails -v
Rails 4.0.0.beta
✗ rails new testapp -d postgresql
I had to comment out the assets group in the generated Gemfile before bundle install but otherwise everything worked fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives