I am a living advertisement for JetBrains products :-)

Full disclosure: for years JetBrains comped me with free products, but for a few years now I have been buying my own licenses.

I have been working since 5am this morning on three customer projects in three languages:

  • Python - using PyCharm
  • Ruby - using RubyMine
  • Java - using IntelliJ
Switching languages and supporting platforms and frameworks sometimes causes a little cognitive dissonance, taking a few minutes to get my head into a different toolset.

With the same (almost) user interface, similar code completion, etc., switching between three languages and projects today was easy with no stress.

I will also thank other companies that make it easier for me to do my work:

  • Amazon AWS - Amazon is my favorite technology company. AWS has changed my working life. Since I live in a remote mountain area, I also appreciate getting stuff from Amazon. The Kindle platform with synched reading accross all of my devices is also great.
  • Apple - my MacBook Air and iPad are great devices that I don't even have to think about while I am working and playing (and the iTV is pretty cool also)
  • Heroku - I am a big fan of PaaS and Heroku is my favorite
  • Google - for GMail, Docs and Calendar
  • github - really makes remote customer interaction simple and productive
  • Evernote - my own personal memory box
  • Dropbox
  • Netflix - covers most of my non-sports and non-reading recreation
I work and live in a digital world and these great companies deserve my business for making my life simpler and more fun.

Comments

  1. Ditto for me on JetBrains!

    While I have a license for both IDEA and RubyMine, I'm finding that the Ruby plugin on the most recent version of IDEA does pretty much the same thing. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer using RubyMine separately for Ruby and Rails work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives