Annoyed by anti-MongoDB post on HN

I am not going to link to this article - no point in giving it more attention. The anonymous post claimed data loss and basic disaster using MongoDB. I call bullshit on this anonymous rant. Why was it posted anonymously?

I am sitting in an airport waiting to fly home right now: just finished extending a Java+MongoDB+GWT app and I am starting to do more work on a project using Clojure+Noir+MongoDB.

I do have a short checklist for using MongoDB:
  • For each write operation I decide if I can use the default write and forget option or slightly slow down the write operation by checking CommandResult cr = db.getLastError(); - every write operation can be fine tuned based on the cost of losing data. I usually give up a little performance for data robustness unless data can be lost with minimal business cost.
  • I usually use the journalling option.
  • Use replica pairs or a slave.
  • I favor using MongoDB for rapid prototyping and research.
  • I use the right tool for each job. PostgreSQL, various RDF data stores, and sometimes Neo4J are also favorite data store tools.

Comments

  1. and.. how is it related to the anonymous post ?
    so what? you just write a list of what you use and that's it, no counterarguments to the anonymous post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kiela, I didn't like to see the mostly untrue rant against MongoDB from someone who refused to publicly identify themself. The comments on Hacker News did a good job at refuting the anonymous rant against MongoDB, and I didn't feel like saying much more except to list the steps that I take to mitigate any possible problems mentioned in the anonymous rant.

    Thanks for your comment,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plase, post the link so we can see it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Rodrigo.

    I don't feel like posting a link to the original rant, but the comments about the rant on HN are a worthwhile read: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3202081

    Best regards,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller