Reading "The Rails 3 Way"

Obie had his publisher send me a review copy of his book Rails 3 Way that was just printed. It is a very good reference for Rails 3, and it really is a reference book meant to be accessed for specific problems. That said, I am reading it straight through because although I have a lot of Rails development experience, I would like to understand Rails at a deeper level.

While Rails itself is "opinionated" Obie's book is even more so: he bases his business on Rails and the book reflects the way things are done in his company. The book uses Haml and RSpec exclusively. I still mostly use Test::Unit and Erb, and the book will probably not change that (but it might!).

I found Paolo Perrotta's "Metaprogramming Ruby" to be a great resource for getting more into the low level details of Ruby and I expect that "The Rails 3 Way" will serve the same purpose for Rails.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller