Good to be a programmer. Or: custom solutions are sometimes better

I signed up for a free Evernote account a year ago last April but never really used it. After reading an article in the New York Times this morning about sharing data across computers and handheld devices I decided to install the Evernote app on my Android cellphone. I also installed the web clipper Evernote Chrome browser extension. After setting up notebooks for major interests (writing tools, writing ideas, different technology areas), I spent some time using Evernote (OS X app, browser interface, and Droid app). Really nice.

I thought of using Evernote for my to-do tasks but my own custom web app my-foc.us works better for me. This reminded me how great it is to be a programmer and make things just the way you want. Now, I must admit that my-foc.us is very simple (it has just the functionality that I want and nothing else). This project is open source and took me perhaps 6 hours to write and deploy on Heroku. It is really a great feeling to make something just for yourself (although other people are welcome to use it).

Some background for another "just for me" web app:

About four years ago I almost died very quickly from two large pulmonary embolisms. Fortunately I am almost fully recovered (e.g., I can do 5 or 6 hour hikes, but not the 8 or 9 hour hikes I used to do) but I need to monitor my intake of vitamin K because it interferes with the small doses of blood thinner I take daily. Now, vitamin K is absolutely vital to have in your diet (one example: keeps calcium deposits out of arteries and heart valves and promotes bone growth and general health). So, four years ago I created a simple web app cookingspace.com that contains many of the recipes that I use and some convenience foods that I like. What is different about cookingspace.com is that it uses the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 20 to show the nutrients in food I eat. At first, I referred to the nutrients per serving for individual recipes and for complete meal plans but after a while, I trained myself to remember the approximate amounts of vitamin K and about 20 other nutrients in food. You can see displays for random recipes by clicking this link a few times. This web app turned out to be a large project, taking me about 40 hours to write because the recommended USDA database had a lot of errors so I ended up using their much larger "research" database and then trimming out things I didn't need. Anyway, for me this was time well spent.

Anyway, it is great to be a programmer :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives