Really liking Ubuntu 10.4 with my i5 laptop

I wrote earlier this year about buying an i5 based Toshiba laptop. I have been struggling a bit getting things just right using Linux, but I am there now. Installing the final non-beta version of Ubuntu 10.4 and working a little to automate wireless connections made the difference.

I still love my MacBook with OS X and use it for casual use but an i5 laptop with 4 gigs of RAM and a half a terrabyte of disk for 40% of a comparable MacBook Pro is a story that is difficult to ignore. I admit to being frugal, and lightening fast inexpensive hardware running Ubuntu makes me think that Apple should drop their prices (easy for me to say: I sold my Apple stock when I made about 4x my investment).

I have Windows 7 installed also on my i5 laptop and I am happy to have Windows on some rare occasions but dealing with very long boot up times, the overhead of anti-virus software, a poor command shell even with bash installed, and the difficulty of using a lot of development software dooms Windows 7 to a nice to have toy, but I might someday trash it to get back my 250 gigs Windows partition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives