Good advice: enjoy whatever you are doing at the moment

I was working on a customer's Rails application this morning, and I was totally enjoying myself (Ruby + Rails + TextMate + Solr), and I was perfectly happy with my work and tools.

This afternoon, I was coding in Emacs + Slime + Gambit-C Scheme, finishing up the examples for a DevX article - once again perfectly happy with the tools that I was using.

A long time ago, my Dad (a great guy, great scientist, and member of the national academy of science) gave me some very good advice: enjoy whatever you are working on. It was a very long time ago, but I remember the context clearly: I was in high school, complaining about too much calculus homework, and my Dad gave me "the advice." By the way, I am taking a trip to see my parents next week :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller