Tools: experiment with many, master a few of them

I am admittedly a tinkerer: I really enjoy reading other people's code, experimenting with new languages and technologies. That said, I make the effort to really only master a few technologies (e.g., Ruby, Java, and Lisp for programming languages (my paid for work is split fairly evenly between these languages), and specialize in AI, cloud deployments, Rails and Java-based web apps).

I may be transitioning to adopting two new core technologies. I have been using relational databases since 1986 and have a long term liking for PostgreSQL (less so, MySQL). The "non-SQL" meme has become popular with a lot of justification: for many applications you can get easier scalability and/or better performance on a single server using other types of data stores. Google's AppEngine datastore (built on their big table infrastructure) is clearly less convenient to develop with than a relational database but it may be well worth the extra effort to get scalability and very low hosting fees.

I have been spending a fair amount of time using the AppEngine data store this year, and more recently I am learning to effectively use Tokyo Cabinet with Ruby and Java. Different non-relational data stores have different strengths and weaknesses and in an ideal world I would learn several. In a practical world, this is not possible, so I am looking at Tokyo Cabinet as my "new PostgreSQL" - very much good enough for a wide range of projects where a relational database is not a good fit.

I was talking with a new customer yesterday about Ruby deployments, and efficiency issues in general. Ruby is a "slow" language, but Rails apps do not need to run slowly since so much of the heavy lifting is done with highly efficient external processes like Sphinx, PostgreSQL, Tokyo Cabinet, nginx, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller