NetBeans 6.0 Visual Web Pack: not ready, but looks promising

The NetBeans 6.0 Visual Web Pack looks promising: ability to visually edit web pages, wire in navigation, etc. Basically, automating a lot of JSP web application configuration and supports fast creation of JSP pages. I had problems with it however, and from searching the web, it looks like other people have problems also. I am going to make a note on my calendar to check for updates in a couple of months. Rails is my preferred web framework, Django looks good, but it would be naive of me to think that as a consultant I will not also have to write JSP/J2EE based web applications (since I have spent years doing this, and this technology is not going away). I would like a more agile development setup than my old approach of model classes, off the shelf tag libraries, my own custom tag libraries, and hand edited JSPs.

I have been loving the Ruby/JRuby support in NetBeans - that was my motivation for looking at other good NetBeans plugins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller