Quality Open Source: Squeak 3.9 final and new Seaside 2.8

I don't use Smalltalk professionally but I wanted to try the new Seaside 2.8 release. I did a fresh Squeak 3.9 final installation on my MacBook running Leopard. Installing Seaside was as simple as starting the SqueakMap package loader, doing an upgrade to all installed packages, then do a Seaside install answering yes to all optional package offerings. Everything 'just works' and has a very polished feel to it - important when I am giving up an evening or two to play with something very cool.

One very important aspect of this "feeling of quality" is an active community that maintains a central package web site - good examples are SqueakMap (Squeak), Gems (Ruby), and CPAN (yuck, Perl :-) Having a central package repository is more than just a time saver: time spent dealing with too many installation and configuration options disrupts what I would call problem solving mode or thinking. I used to take great pleasure in staying on top of most J2EE technologies, but I got over that :-)

The way that Seaside gets around stateless HTTP issues is very cool but I suspect that the future of rich client applications may be something like Adobe AIR. For my work, I am happy enough for now just using Rails and AJAX. I have also experimented a lot with Dojo and Lisp on the back end and a little with OpenLazlo. The question to ask is how much "rich client" support do you need for a web portal - applications like GMail show how much can be done with Javascript/HTML/CSS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives