Trip down memory lane: I installed Minix 3 tonight

I was an early Linux user (downloaded Slackware over a slow modem in early 1994) but I installed Minix before that - probably in 1992 or 1993.

While I was reading tonight, I installed Minix 3 with Parallels on my MacBook. The system worked OK, but ran really slowly (over 5 seconds to start Emacs). I have seen a few blogs lately on Minix 3 and I decided to install it, and it was fun to kick the tires for 20 minutes. I like the idea of Minix (an operating system simple enough for a hobbyist to understand) but the slow performance convinced me to delete the Parallels disk image for it. I don't know why it ran so slowly since Windows 2000 and Ubuntu Linux run very well under Parallels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives