Java + AJAX in 18 lines

I have been investing a fair amount of time learning the Dojo Javascript library but I had an application where I only needed AJAX to handle HTML form input - I wanted a server side function to return HTML to be inserted below the form. Dojo is a huge library so I pulled the prototype.js library out of one of my old Ruby Rails projects (prototype.js is only about 70KB). I put the following in my form JSP page:
<form id="myForm2">
 <input type="text" id="input_test_form_text" />
 <input type="button" value="Search" onclick="getS()" />
</form>
<div id="searchresults"></div>

<script type="text/javascript" src="prototype.js"></script>
<script>
 function getS() {
var params = 'query=' + $F('input_test_form_text');
var x = new Ajax.Updater('searchresults', '/ajax_search.jsp',
{method: 'get',parameters: params});
 }
</script>
The follow is a trivial server side JSP ajax_search.jsp that does nothing but returns the original query as an HTML snippet:
<%@ page contentType="text/html;charset=UTF-8" language="java" %>

<%
String req = request.getParameter("query");
out.println("<p>request for 'query' is:" + req + "</p>");
%>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller