A simpler, more directed Microsoft under Ray Ozzie

Ozzie has been fairly public about his simpler approach to software development: simpler product with clear goals and on-time delivery to market. I think that this is just what Microsoft needs.

Another thing that Microsoft needs to do is to go on a subscription based business model for Windows and Office. I have written about this several times in the last two years: higher software complexity caused by adding features that most of us probably do not want.

I use Windows (in addition to OS X and Linux) in my work, and the thing that I want is stability and security. If Microsoft received a small yearly license for Windows use and a larger license fee for Office use then they could just concentrate on quality and simplicity of use - not adding features to (try to) force software upgrades.

Everyone wins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives