I am on Microsoft's side on this one

OK, the sky is not falling - I'm allowed to side with Microsoft occasionally: why should Adobe be allowed to prohibit Microsoft from adding PDF output to Office when Apple and OpenOffice.org can use an open format (PDF)?

I was so angry with Microsoft last year over their position on open document standards like Open Document Format that I sold my Microsoft stock (yeah, like that hurt them). I still dislike what I think is Microsoft's business model: keep adding features that few people want, force upgrades, mess people up with incompatible file formats, etc.

I have said this before: Microsoft should operate on a subsciption model: charge users $25 per year for Windows and perhaps $75 per year for Office. They could play nice with file format standards. They could stop adding features and just produce stable products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives