IDEs: best of breed vs. 'good enough'

I spend about half my time developing in Ruby and half in Java. For Java development, in my opinion nothing is as good as IntelliJ - I love it! I am still in the exploring mode when it comes to Ruby development. When using OS X, I sometimes use TextMate and I like TextPad on Windows - both inexpensive and very useful. That said, when I am dealing with larger programs, I find Eclipse and both the Ruby and the Rails plugins to definitely be 'good enough'.

Actually, as a 'good enough' platform to build other platforms, Eclipse is the 'best of breed' :-)

In the last few years, I have used Eclipse (with suitable plugins) for Ruby, Python, C, C++, and Prolog. Eclipse is also very good for Java, but not the best.

If there is one thing that I like best about Eclipse it is probably the subversion and CVS support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives