Managed code, Microsoft dropping .Net from Vista implementation

I understand that in some cases managed code can run slower or require more memory. Still, I was disappointed that Microsoft (some time ago, apparently) removed .Net code from beta builds of Window Vista.

As a Linux enthusiast (yes, I am posting from Ubuntu right now :-) I would also like to see managed code in the Linux kernel and surrounding utilities. I would be happy to take a performance hit to improve security (just getting rid of buffer overflow errors would be huge) and reliability.

I believe that Java Hotspot technology, or something similar would work just fine. I am not a .Net expert, but I would imagine that they use something like hotspot, use ephemeral(or generational) garbage collection, etc. I linked to an article the other day that showed that in some cases managed memory can be faster than C mallocs.

Anyway, I sold my Microsoft stock last year (I was very irritated with them for not supporting open document formats and decided that I simply did not want to own their stock) but as a sometimes Window user, I was enthusiastic about their using managed code in Vista.

PS. the best programming and computing environment I ever used was in the 1980s: my Xerox 1108 Lisp Machine - used "managed code", never had problems like buffer overruns, and was extremely reliable. Then performance was OK, even with relatively slow computer hardware (this was 20 years ago!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives