Mongrel: interesting alternative to WEBrick

You can download Mongrel here. This is a project by Zed Shaw that is interesting: like WEBrick, but with some low level C code and considerably better performance running servlets.

While I think that Rails is great stuff, my interest in Ruby is driven more by the Ruby language itself. I am working on an Enterprise Ruby book right now and only about 20% of the book is about Rails and the rest covers 'Ruby coolness' in general. I continue to be amazed at how quickly non-trivial programs can be written and debugged in Ruby.

Anyway, good job Zed - I really like WEBrick because it is light weight and an simple platform to program to for all sorts of services and Mongrel looks like another tool that I will use a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives