Side by side comparison of Ruby on Rails vs. JSP + JavaBeans

As both a research project and to build something for my own use, I have been (as time permits) developing a web app that lets me use JavaScript on the client side to do styled/rich text editing and to save edited files on one of my servers.

What is different here is that I do a little development on one platform, then on the other - but being sure to use both RoR and JSPs+JavaBeans for new coding (vs. simply porting what I have already done).

I am finding Ruby on Rails to be a faster prototype/development environment, mostly because it takes over 10 seconds to re-test under Tomcat (remote access via IntelliJ) and re-testing under RoR is almost instantaneous. Ruby also is a little faster to code in.

No way can I put an accurate number on how much faster Ruby on Rails development is, but I would estimate that I save about 20% of development time - not a huge deal, but nice. This comparison is actually comforting from a Java perspective: for customers who prefer Java on the server, the extra overhead is not too bad.

There have been some comments that Ruby and RoR development is more "fun". I don't know about that: I really enjoy writing Java web applications with just JSPs, JavaBeans, and perhaps a few custom tag libraries. I must admit though that the "fun level" decreases when I have to mix in JMS, EJBs, etc., but that is just because I can't code from memory and have to occasionally stop to look stuff up.

Anyway, now that I am adding classes and behavior for groups, access control lists, etc., I am droping the Java half of this experiment. This is not saying anything against Java: I just want to beef up my Ruby on Rails experience and now get something done for my own use.

PS. a little off topic: I always think that I am a little bit more productive when using Linux or OS X than when I develop under Windows XP. This is a small effect though, and just a feeling, really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives