Sharing and the gift economy

Carol and I decided to license the recipes on our new healthy foods and recipes web portal under a Creative Commons license that allows people to re-publish our stuff with attribution and a reference to our web site. For us, this makes sense: we want people to use our web portal and sharing recipes is one way to promote it.

I do the same thing with my free web books and open source software projects: by sharing I get good feedback and improvements from many people and because hundreds of other web sites reference my main web site, when anyone searches for a "Java consultant", there I am :-)

I frequently push back a little with some of my customers who want to keep everything they do closed and proprietary. Unless you are helping a competitor put you out of business, sharing has many rewards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives