Joy of Ubuntu Linux on my laptop - bad show for PC vendors not supplying Windows install CDs

I wrote a few days ago about Averatec not supplying Windows install CDs - their customer support guy told me this morning to send the laptop in for service: still under warranty and they would install a new disk with Windows installed.

No thanks. Ubuntu Linux was an easy install, everything works, and large code builds, etc. run faster for me under Linux than under Windows XP. I do wish that I could occasionally dual boot into Windows XP, but so it goes. I now have one Linux laptop, one high end Windows XP desktop PC, and three older Macs. Funny thing is that there is not a huge difference between developing Java (IntelliJ and ant builds) and Ruby on these three different operating systems.

The Averatec laptop has great hardware at a low price - too bad that they don't sell a version without Windows for $75 cheaper :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller