Strange advantages of using Windows XP

Because my new PC is so very much faster than my old dual G4 Mac, I find myself using the PC - go figure. Although OS X is clearly the better 'user experience', and better I would argue for general software development, there are a few programs that I am now enjoying under Windows XP: The Triple20 Semantic web tool available at the Swi-Prolog web site and Google's Desktop Search.

The one thing that I would like to get for Windows XP is a better command window utility. When working, my approximate work breakdown is:
  • IntelliJ - 50% (includes occasional use of Eclipse and Netbeans)
  • xterm or command window - 25%
  • FireFox - 15%
  • OpenOffice.org - 10%
All is well, except for the command window. I would like to buy an alternative command window shell - I use bash from cygwin, but I would like something better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives