Easy way to run Tomcat on port 80 (not as root)

I am sure that I am not the only Java developer to suffer a little while configuring Apache and Tomcat. The Apache foundation has a project common daemon that supports starting a Java process as root, binding sockets lower than 1024, and then switching to a non-root account to actually run Tomcat. This was easy to set up under Linux, more of a hassle under OS X.

This is especially cool/useful for me because the web applications that I develop have little or no static content, so running Tomcat through Apache never did make much sense for my applications. Check it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives