Sweet: Ubuntu Linux on an iBook

Pardon me if I have been too enthusiastic lately about Ubuntu Linux, but after installing it on my iBook, I am an even bigger fan. Great distro!

To install it, I connected my iBook to my desktop Mac with a firewire cable, and booted my iBook holding down the "t" key to boot the iBook as a remote disk. I then ran iPartition (commercial product) on my desktop Mac to free up 9 gigabytes for Linux partitions on the iBook. Using the PowerPC Ubuntu install CDROM, installation was a snap and now my old iBook just increased in value to me. I have an old style airport card, which Ubuntu recognizes - newer iBooks with 802.11g airport cards loose out: the manufacturer for the newer card does not release driver specs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller