OS X + Linux: perfect combo! Also: request for advice on SuSE Linux dedicated server providers

First: if anyone has any info on good dedicated server hosting providers that use SuSE Linux, please email me at: markw at markwatson . com -Thanks!!

I am finding the combination of my Mac OS X desktop (and iBook :-) running an X11 display with SuSE Linux for servers on my own network is just about perfect: I prefer SuSE's Yast administration tools and keeping Yast open as required for each server with the display set to my Mac is just about perfect.

For customer installations, I usually use rented servers at 1and1.com and serverbeach.com but they only provide Redhat Linux based servers.

Sometimes, I like to do development under Linux in addition to OS X (for a few different reasons) and here again, OS X's X11 support makes it pain-free to develop on Linux: for example: great looking Mac fonts, not need to use the Linux server's display (actually, I usually run Linux boxes headless around here :-), great for offloading long builds, etc. from my desktop OS X box, etc., etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller