I have finally switched to Java 5 language features for new development

Not for consulting work (yet), but for my own development for new code, I am starting to use the new JDK 1.5 (or 5) language features. Since I run under Mac OS X, you might think that this is a problem, but I have a Linux box on my home office network and I simply use X Windows on my Macs. One of the things that I have always loved about Common Lisp and Python is how concise code can be; the new Java language features help a lot. For a contrived example:
import static java.lang.System.out;

import java.util.*;

public class test {
public static void main(String[] args) {
out.println("JDK 5 new language features\n");
List<String> strs = new ArrayList<String>();
strs.add("cat"); strs.add("dog");
for (String s : strs) out.println(" " + s);
}
}
Cool, but this is still pretty weak compared to Python's list comprehensions, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller