Calling 'return' in a JSP, avoiding sendRedirect(...) problems

A not too uncommon runtime error occurs by trying to call response.sendRedirect(...) twice on a single JSP or calling response.sendRedirect(...) while writing any output to a servlet or JSP output stream.

A trick that I use to avoid this problem is to simply 'return' immediately after calling response.sendRedirect(...). This is required because the page is not redirected instantly - it occurs after all the output to the page is written.

Simple trick, but I never see this in other people's JSP code, so I thought that it was worth mentioning it.

Comments

  1. this is a decade old, but it just saved my bacon.

    thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby Sinatra web apps with background work threads

Time and Attention Fragmentation in Our Digital Lives

My Dad's work with Robert Oppenheimer and Edward Teller